More than likely you've popped over here from our Instagram Gift Guide- hello! We thought two new salad recipes would be a great compliment to the gift of our Olive Wood Salad Servers. So here are two of Sarah's tried and true Holiday gathering favorites!
Citrus Fennel And Avocado Salad (recipe and image from FoodieCrush.com)
SERVES: SERVES 2 AS MAIN, 4 AS SIDES
- An assortment of citrus, totaling about 2½ to 3 pounds
- I used:
- 3 navel oranges
- 3 cara cara oranges
- 2 minneola oranges
- 3 mandarin oranges
- 1 blood orange
- ½ fennel bulb, very thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- ½ shallot, peeled and very thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- ¼ cup mint leaves
- Reserved fennel fronds
- Slice the peels off of the citrus and place in a bowl or on a serving plate. Layer with thinly slivered fennel slices. Add avocado slices and shallot slivers.
- In a small bowl, slowly whisk the olive oil into the champagne vinegar until emulsified. Add the honey and whisk to mix. Season with kosher salt and pepper.
- Pour dressing over the salad and season with more kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Top with reserved fennel fronds and mint leaves.
Orange and Pomegranate Salad with Buttermilk Dressing (recipe and image from BrooklynSupper.com )
A vibrant orange and pomegranate salad recipe topped with creamy buttermilk dressing.
Author: Brooklyn Supper
Recipe type: Salad
Makes: Four servings
- For the dressing
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon shallot, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- For the salad
- 1 large bunch spinach
- 3 oranges, or other sweet-tasting citrus
- 1 large pomegranate
- 1/2 shallot, sliced paper thin
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves, plus sprigs for garnish
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- To make dressing, one at a time, whisk zest, juice, vinegar, mustard, and buttermilk into olive oil. Add shallots, rosemary, and sea salt. Set aside while you prepare salad.
- Cut very top and bottom off of oranges. Carefully slice off peel, removing white pith while sparing as much flesh as possible. Cut into 1/2-inch thick slices.
- Pour most of the dressing over the spinach; turn with fingers to coat.
- Spread spinach on a large platter and tuck oranges throughout. Scatter with pomegranate arils and shallots. Finish with a final drizzle of dressing, a scattering of rosemary leaves, a pinch of sea salt, and several twists fresh pepper.
Enjoy! And thanks for stopping by. Leave a comment and let us know if you tried either salad!